The Local 825 2020 Golf Outing on Sept. 19 is sold out for golfers. (Sponsorships and contributions are still being accepted). That’s good news for the scholarship fund and children and grandchildren of members who will be applying for scholarship help next year. It is not good news for anyone who waited too long to sign up! The golf outing is a favorite activity and will be held at the Gambler Ridge Golf Course in Cream Ridge. Now all we need is great weather!
July 20, 2020
As always, the health and safety of our members, employees and colleagues is our top priority. Therefore, we are implementing processes to address safety, health and wellness concerns overall. As such, we must consider the manner in which business is conducted for our organization.
We regret to inform you that the September 23rd and October 14th Health Fairs will be cancelled. We hope to reschedule these events later in the year and will keep our members up to date with the most current information. You may also check for updates on our website www.825Funds.org.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Funds Office at 973-671-6800.
Local 825 Welfare Fund
Who May Apply
Any person, male or female, attending, or planning to attend any institution of higher learning (University, College, Junior College, Technical or Trade School). Please note that preference will be given to applicants who pursue either a degree or certificate in architecture, engineering or other vocation directly related to the construction industry.
An applicant must either be an employee, or the child of any employee of a member firm of the New Jersey Steel Association Inc., or contributor to the Steel Industry Advancement Fund. More particularly:
- Children of members of Shopmen’s Local 502 whose parent (or guardian) is employed by a firm operating under a labor agreement with Local 502.
- Children of ironworkers referred to work by Iron Workers Local 11 (formerly, Local Unions #11, 45, 373, 480 and 483) as employees of a firm signatory to a labor agreement with Local 11.
- Children of operating engineers (Local Union #825) referred to work as employees of a firm signatory to a labor agreement with that Local.
- Any ironworker or operating engineer of the above mentioned unions who is employed by a member firm of the New Jersey Steel Association, Inc., or a contributor to the Steel Industry Advancement Fund.
- All other employees of member firms of the New Jersey Steel Association, Inc. or firms who contribute to the Steel Industry Advancement Fund as well as their children. However, executives and directors of member firms and their children are excluded.
- No paid officers or agents of the above mentioned unions or their children are eligible.
- Only one (1) child per family is eligible based on the applicant’s address.
- Until amended, total annual scholarship shall not exceed $25,000.
When to Apply
Applications must be received by July 30, 2020 addressed to:
Jack Daly, Les Hynes Scholarship Committee
New Jersey Steel Association, Inc.
50 Division Street, Suite 501
Somerville, NJ 08876
Congratulations were awarded to this year’s ten scholarship winners, all children or grandchildren of Local 825 members. Each will receive $2,500 per year for four years, totaling $10,000 over the course of their education.
Funds are raised throughout the year through the generosity of our members and friends of the Local and with the help of volunteers from the local, the funds office and training centers.
The applicants are reviewed and winners are selected by a team of educators from the Rutgers University School for Management and Labor Relations, headed by Carla A. Katz, Esq., and James Cooney, Esq. Applications are evaluated based on transcripts, SAT scores, individual essays and letters of recommendation.
Three of the ten won awards in specific categories. Seven were awarded scholarships based on academic criteria. Here are this year’s winners.
Dust off your golf clubs and mark your calendar for Saturday September 19th for the Eighth Annual Golf Outing to benefit the Local 825 Scholarship Fund.
Slots are limited and this event sells out so click to download the registration form right away (and no later than April 29). Information about sponsorships is included on the form.
As in the past, the Local 825 Golf Outing will be held at the Gambler Ridge Golf Club, 121 Burlington Path Road, Cream Ridge, NJ. Lunch begins at 11:30 a.m. and a Shotgun Start is at 1 p.m. Dinner to follow. Lunch and Dinner are included in your registration.
Net proceeds will help fund $100,000 in scholarships for the children and grandchildren of Local 825 members.
Gambler Ridge Golf Club
121 Burlington Path Road
Cream Ridge NJ 08514
Saturday, May 9th, 2019
11:30 AM – Lunch
1:00 PM – Shotgun Start
(Lunch and Dinner included)
NOTE: Application deadline has been extended to June 19, 2020.
This program offers three awards: First place, $2,500. Second place, $1,500. Third place, $1,000.
Students are eligible if they have a parent or guardian who is a member in good standing in a local union which is affiliated with the Middlesex and Somerset Counties AFL-CIO Labor Council or if the applicant is a union member.
In addition, applicants also must:
- Provide verification of acceptance at a post-secondary educational institution and verification of a B average or above in the graduating class.
- Write an essay of not less than 250 words on the subject of the Labor Movement detailed on the application form. Instructions are found on the application form.
Completed application and essay must be postmarked by Friday, June 19, 2020 and mailed to Frank Burke, whose address is found on the application.