All Local 825 scholarship applications must now be submitted by email to: 825Scholarship@gmail.com
This change has been necessitated because the Rutgers University scholarship judges are working remotely because of the COVID-19 outbreak and are no longer on campus to receive these materials.
The deadline to submit applications for a Local 825 scholarship currently is April 17.
If you have previously submitted an application, email a copy as a backup precaution and mark “COPY” on the first page.
International Union of Operating Engineers Local 825 is pleased to announce the following Academic and Special Scholarship Award for 2020:
- Seven academic scholarship awards of $2,500.00 per academic year for four years
- Three $2,500.00 special scholarships per academic year for four years, one in each of the following categories:
- Outstanding Student-Athlete
- Outstanding Student Service
- Outstanding Appreciation/Understanding of Unionism and the Labor Movement
Scholarship winners will be selected based upon demonstrated academic achievement, quality of essay, and commitment to unionism and community service. Special scholarship winners will be selected based upon their extraordinary achievement in respective category.
We encourage applicants to apply for the academic scholarship and multiple special scholarships. However, only one award will be awarded to an applicant. Local 825 reserves the right not to issue a specific scholarship if it is determined that there is not a particularly “outstanding” candidate in any of the three categories.
- Child or Grandchild of a union member of Local 825 in good standing
- High School Graduate of the Class of 2020
- Acceptance as a full-time student at a four year college or university
Scholarship and grant applicants are required to submit all of the following materials:
- Cover Sheet
- SAT scores / ACT scores
- High School transcripts
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from teachers, employers or civic leaders that describe the applicant’s contributions (both past and potential) to his/her school and neighborhood communities.
- One short essay (approximately 500 words in length) that discusses the applicant’s aspirations and how union values have influenced his/her life choices.
- College Acceptance Letter(s)
- Additional, optional, supporting materials.
Note: Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
The deadline for all completed applications is April 10, 2020. Applicants are responsible for assembling all application materials. Submit all materials (including copies of high-school transcript and letters of recommendation) by email.
Applicants will receive timely acknowledgment of their submitted application and award.
Scholarship winners will be notified by May 1, 2020. The seven academic scholarship winners and the three special scholarship winners will be invited to attend a scholarship dinner, in their honor, hosted by Local 825 in June 2020.
How to Submit Your Application
Scan all materials into one PDF file and send it to: email@example.com
This Local 825 Scholarship Program is administered by Prof. Katz of Rutgers University. Please contact Prof. Katz for any further questions or concerns regarding the scholarship and grants application by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 848-932-1921.