Who May Apply
Any person, male or female, attending, or planning to attend any institution of higher learning (University, College, Junior College, Technical or Trade School). Please note that preference will be given to applicants who pursue either a degree or certificate in architecture, engineering or other vocation directly related to the construction industry.
An applicant must either be an employee, or the child of any employee of a member firm of the New Jersey Steel Association Inc., or contributor to the Steel Industry Advancement Fund. More particularly:
- Children of members of Shopmen’s Local 502 whose parent (or guardian) is employed by a firm operating under a labor agreement with Local 502.
- Children of ironworkers referred to work by Iron Workers Local 11 (formerly, Local Unions #11, 45, 373, 480 and 483) as employees of a firm signatory to a labor agreement with Local 11.
- Children of operating engineers (Local Union #825) referred to work as employees of a firm signatory to a labor agreement with that Local.
- Any ironworker or operating engineer of the above mentioned unions who is employed by a member firm of the New Jersey Steel Association, Inc., or a contributor to the Steel Industry Advancement Fund.
- All other employees of member firms of the New Jersey Steel Association, Inc. or firms who contribute to the Steel Industry Advancement Fund as well as their children. However, executives and directors of member firms and their children are excluded.
- No paid officers or agents of the above menitoned unions or their children are eligible.
- Only one (1) child per family is eligible based on the applicant’s address.
- Until amended, total annual scholarship shall not exceed $25,000.
When to Apply
Applications must be received by June 30, 2018 addressed to:
Jack Daly, Les Hynes Scholarship Committee
New Jersey Steel Association, Inc.
50 Division Street, Suite 501
Somerville, NJ 08876